June 12, 2007
Kryptonsite’s got the casting breakdown… notice they don’t say tall!
SUPERGIRL” (Kara) – 19 years old, Caucasian, blonds preferred, or willing to dye hair blond. Beautiful, smart and funny. She is Clark’s cousin. She was born on Krypton and is the daughter of Zor-El, Jor-El’s brother. Kara possesses all of Clark’s power and one he doesn’t yet have – she can FLY! Kara also has a strong, rebellious streak which puts her at odds with Clark, and puts her into Lex’s radar. This is a 7/13 Series Regular role.
Sounds like a great fit for Kristen Bell to us… if the unthinkable really does happen.
June 11, 2007
What a case of interesting timing… Just hours after Rob Thomas announced the official cancellation of VERONICA MARS, The CW is sending out word that Kara Zor-El, SUPERGIRL, will be joining the cast of SMALLVILLE. And both stories come from TV Guide.
Keep in mind, Kristen is still under contract with The CW, and will be until Friday. It makes perfect sense that the network would want to keep Kristen in the fold, given her rising celebrity. They likely forged a deal, and it would probably be impossible for Kristen to do big roles in both shows– hence Rob’s announcement.
So, putting two and two together here, it seems very likely that KRISTEN BELL will be SUPERGIRL!
I say if Veronica Mars is really gone (and I’m not ready to give up on that just yet), this is about as much as you could hope for. Smallville’s a great show (though certainly no VM), and this could be a good role for Kristen– she certainly looks the part.
Now, if this proves true, hopefully we can find some way to get some Veronica Mars TV movies each year, which seems like the best case scenario given today’s news. And its more likely, honestly, if Kristen is still with The CW. Its all depressing, but at least there are some silver linings here.
June 9, 2007
So we shouldn’t either, right?
The AP’s got an interview with Kristen Bell, the much adored star of VERONICA MARS (best written show on TV — please help save it— ahem), and it sounds like she’s in the same boat as we are: holding out hope for some kind of miracle on June 15th! That’s pretty encouraging, I’d say, that the star of the show hasn’t ruled out a return and isn’t committing elsewhere yet. And the article is currently sitting right on the front of Yahoo!– I bet that’s got some CW people thinking.
I wonder if Kristen or Rob Thomas (the show’s creative genius) have gotten word of the MARS BARS CAMPAIGN yet? Here’s hoping. Its a shame the fan efforts weren’t noted in the article, but hey… we seem to getting more attention, slowly but surely.
This piece reminds us of one more reason that this show should be saved– Kristen has a big year of movies in front of her– she’s in two the Scramble Network is dying to see, FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL and FANBOYS– and more exposure for Kristen means more exposure for VERONICA MARS. It really doesn’t make sense to drop a show featuring Kristen right before she’s set to become a huge mainstream celebrity.
Right, CW? Right?!!
Seems to me this might be Kristin’s own attempt to persuade the CW to change their minds.
June 4, 2007
Success!! Knocked Up had a GREAT weekend at the box office. The studio tried to keep expectation in the high-teens… most of the experts had it in the low-t0-mid twenties… so to come within a hair of $30 million, and to beat Pirates per screen– well, that’s just HUGE!!! For the full box office analysis, go here.
This means we can expect to see much more of our beloved FREAKS AND GEEKS/UNDECLARED alumni all over the place! That’s pretty sweet vindication for a gang of folks who were looking for jobs not so long ago. This just goes to show that sometimes perseverence IS rewarded, and these good things couldn’t have happened to a funnier, more talented group.
Maybe this will even cause some people at NBC or FOX to rethink things the next time they rush to cancel an unconventional show with a die-hard fan base… after all, these box office numbers definitely show there’s a market for this kind of comedy, which Judd used to bring to TV EVERY WEEK.
Seeing Seth, Jay, and Jason up there on the big screen was a real treat. And with SUPERBAD, FANBOYS, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS coming out this year, we’re definitely going to see plenty more of them. But what about 2008, you ask? Well, here’s a rundown on all the exciting project Apatow and Co. are working on…
- YEAR ONE: Just announced, really can’t believe news this great! Apatow will produce… the movie is written and directed by none other than thelegendary HAROLD RAMIS!! And it stars JACK BLACK and our boy MICHAEL CERA!!! No word on the story yet, but c’mon– APATOW, RAMIS, BLACK, and CERA– how can that go wrong?
- WALK HARD: Apatow produces, Jake Kasdan (the man behind the amazing ORANGE COUNTY and the underrated ZERO EFFECT) directs… John C. Reilly, Jenna Fischer, and Ed Helms star in this comedy about a down on his luck Johhny Cash-like musician.
- YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN: Former roomies Apatow and Adam Sandler reunite in a story about a Mossad agent who becomes a hair stylist. Seriously!
- FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL: Now this is one we can’t wait for… the scene-stealer himself, Jason Segel, playing opposite Kristen Bell! Segel (who also wrote it) plays a guy who takes a vacation to Hawaii after breaking up with his tv star girlfriend (Bell), only to have her show up with a new guy at the same resort.
- DRILLBIT TAYLOR: Apatow produces this one, John Hughes did the story… two kids hire a bodyguard to protect them from a bully.
- TROPIC THUNDER: Jay Baruchel stars with Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr. (Tom Cruise is rumored to have a cameo, too) in this comedy about actors in a military movie who are forced to become the soldiers they potray.
This is by no means a complete list, but you get the idea, right? After years of waiting, these guys are becoming the stars they’ve always deserved to be, and we’re gonna get some great movies out of it.